Jooly's European Escapade

"We’re all going on a summer holiday. No more working for a week or two. Fun and laughter on a summer holiday. No more worries for me and you. For a week or two. We’re going where the sun shines brightly. We’re going where the sea is blue. We’ve seen it in the movies. Now let’s see if it’s true. Everybody has a summer holiday Doing things they always wanted to. So we’re going on a summer holiday To make our dreams come true For me and you."

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Switzerland

Armed with a Swiss Travel Pass which allowed me unlimited access to the country's trains and buses, I set off to see all of Switzerland. However, after a week, my grand plans were thwarted by the closure of railway lines and roads due to torrential flooding...

Davos & Tirano: Snow capped mountains, turquoise lakes, lush pine forests and clear blue skies - it was good while it lasted!


Brunnen & Locarno:


St. Moritz & Zermatt:


Bern & Interlaken: In Bern, the river had burst it's bank and flooded all the surrouding areas so I headed to Interlaken - which was worse. I had to wade through flood waters to get out of Interlaken metro station. I discovered that the hostel that I had made reservations for was under water. Much of the country was in the same state, so nothing left to do but escape to Zurich for a few nights and get a flight outta there!