Jooly's European Escapade

"We’re all going on a summer holiday. No more working for a week or two. Fun and laughter on a summer holiday. No more worries for me and you. For a week or two. We’re going where the sun shines brightly. We’re going where the sea is blue. We’ve seen it in the movies. Now let’s see if it’s true. Everybody has a summer holiday Doing things they always wanted to. So we’re going on a summer holiday To make our dreams come true For me and you."

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Walk Like an Egyptian

Egypt is just one of those places that I have always dreamt of visiting as a kid. Now that I'm in the Middle East, it's time to shed all my skimpy outfits and cover up, oh dear what to wear?!!

I can still remember my first night in Cairo - being rudely awoken at 4am by the call to prayer over the loud speakers from the nearby mosques - yep another 2 months of it to go! Egypt was unreal - the people, history, culture, food, landscape.. everything was just so different to anything that I had ever experienced before.

The Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza


First class sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor.


Aaah the Sheesha pipe - I had three weeks in Egypt to sample all the different flavours - strawberry, mango, kiwi, mixed fruit, pineapple, banana... all in the name of research of course! But my all time favourite is apple. Mmmm apple sheesha.




I spent a relaxing week cruising on the Nile from Luxor to Aswan. The crazy crew suprised me everyday with amazing creations made out of my towel and bedspread. Seriously, one day I returned to my room to find a monkey made of towels swinging from the ceiling. Here's the crocodile that greeted me one evening.




Egyptian notes are something else - never seen money quite so grotty and some even crumble in your hands. Good thing for the antiseptic handwash, you just never know where the dosh has been...




I chilled out at the Red sea resorts of Hurghada and Dahab for a while. Just beautiful - did some scuba diving and snorkelling. The blue hole in Dahab is the best snorkelling spot ever!